Saturday 3 May 2014

Chioma Eze: Michael Jackson, music and I


Chioma EzeFrom performing before a large audience in Armenia and winning an award, to rubbing shoulders with the late Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, and doing a collabo with Shaggy, Nigerian-born US-based songwriter, music producer and performer, Chioma Eze, has seen and done it all.

Chioma recently secured the number one spot on the UK Top 30 Soul Charts 2013 for her performance of It’s Only Rain, a song she wrote and vocally produced on Euge Groove’s new album, House Of Groove.

What’s more, the Soprano singer has opened for Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, and performed with Stevie Wonder and ABBA’s Agnetha Fältskog.

Currently recording her debut album, Chioma’s attention is now focused on Nigeria, as she plans to make a big break into the country’s music scene. She talks about the journey so far in this chat with The Entertainer.

Enjoy it.



Have you always wanted to do music?

I have always wanted to do music. I wrote a lot as a kid. I wanted to enroll as a musician but they wouldn’t let me. I studied Physics at the University of Benin, Edo State. That was about seven to 10 years ago. However, I didn’t finish there before I traveled to the US for further studies.



Have You been doing music in the US?

No. I was offered a deal in America though.



What deal?

A record deal but because I didn’t agree to do what they wanted me to do, by refusing to bend, they made things hard for me.



Did they want you to change your MUSIC style or compromise some principles?

They wanted me to compromise some principles; they always do that, but it is up to you to either yield or stick to your guns.



Are you signed to any record label now?

No, I am not but I started writing and people started calling me.



How did you get your major break?

It was when I wrote songs for Michael Jackson and he picked some of them, and before I knew it, people started taking notice of me but then he died suddenly. I actually spoke to him and I was supposed to meet him the week after he died but I didn’t get to meet him. General Bosby, Head of Mutual & DreamWorks was sponsoring my project then but he was on dialysis; he’s also dead now.



After the death of General Bosby, what happened?

He died before Michael Jackson but it’s because of General Bosby that I started getting calls. He told everybody that I am an excellent writer and performer. He wielded a lot of influence in the industry. To this day, people still call me up for jobs because of him. General Bosby asked me to write some songs for both Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.



Was the song you wrote for Whitney ever released?

No, that year her brother was sick. But she called me back singing one of the songs I wrote to me on phone. That was awesome! Michael Jackson is a big deal but not as big as Whitney Houston singing your own song to you on phone just because she likes it. I sent her 12 songs but she called me because of one called, Thank You For The Tears.



Are you going to put those songs in your album?

I may. Thank You For The Tears is a song that I use to close some of my shows.



How does music come to you?

Sometimes when I’m sleeping I get inspiration in my dreams and when I wake up I write them down. I go back and listen to the recordings and build them into songs. I also get inspiration from other people’s experience too. Like some of my friends go through some experiences and then I write them a piece of advice through a song.



You look trendy and ready to take over. How would you describe your personal style?

It depends on my mood. If I am singing a high tempo song or a ballet, I come up with fitting clothes; it depends on the song I am doing.



Can you tell us about your family?

My father was a doctor before he died. My mother is a missionary based in Togo and Ghana. She is planning to start an orphanage home in the eastern part of the country. She has been doing it for them in Togo. Some of my siblings are in America but I have a sister here. She always tells me to come back home that Nigerians are going to love my music.



How did you get your musical connection to Armenia?

I had to write for one particular Armenian artiste who wanted me on his album. For some reasons, he couldn’t get any of the famous artistes to do it for him, so he approached me. I told him the only way I could do it is to sing my own part in Armenian because singing in English is not a challenge. And that’s what happened. We sang in Armenian language and it won a Music Choice Award.



That means you speak Armenian very well?

No. I translated the song I wrote into Armenian language and learned it; I just made sure I learned it very well.



HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE your style of music?

My style of music is defined by the country in which I find myself. In Austria, it is all about love. In Armenia, it is ballad and pop. In America, I perform R&B, hip-hop and a little bit of rap. If they want me to bring in the African stuff here I am open to that. I don’t think my style of music can be classified though, I am fortunate and blessed enough to be able to work in almost any genre of music.



Prior to your coming down to Nigeria, did you do any collabo with any Nigerian or African artiste?

I think the closest I have gotten is Shaggy but he is Caribbean; I have not worked with any Nigerian artiste.



What’s your experience working with Shaggy?

Shaggy is funny but very intelligent. He was fun to be with though it was only a couple of days we spent together. We did a couple of songs together.



How did you get to meet him?

He was trying to do a different sort of collaboration album. I was referred to him by someone that knew me. I don’t think the song we did is out though.



On which particular song did you feature with him?

It was a single I did with him and Beyonce Knowles entitled, Crazy.



One would expect you to have adopted some flashy American name considering your pedigree but you still maintain your nigerian name, Chioma…?

Chioma means God is good. People acclaim the greatness of God all over the world. Even those that don’t believe in God still affirm it; I just love the name.



How much of your roots can you still identify with?

I love Nigerian food; I eat Nigerian food all over the world as much as I can. Wherever I go I tell everyone I am a Nigerian. I have had friends and met a lot of people in the industry who are Nigerians but do not want to identify with Nigeria. According to them, they don’t want to be identified with the country’s name because of negative things some Nigerians do. But I told them ‘why not show the positive side of us because most of us are not like that’. I love Nigeria; I enjoy being a Nigerian.



The nigERIAN entertainment scene is very competitive. How do you intend to hold your own considering the fact that you have some very established artistes to contend with?

There is enough room for everyone. And I don’t believe I am like anyone here. One of the reasons why I decided to come back was when my last song in Armenia, which got an award, was released. I started getting mails from Nigerians encouraging me to bring my music back home. That’s when I decided to come back. Hopefully, they should embrace my genre of music and who I am.



Your foreign style of music may not work fine with the fans here. Have you written anything for Nigerians?

I have one which I did in America but then the masters got stolen. It took some time to recover from that. But I always represent Nigeria in my music.



Which of the artistes here are you planning to do collaboration with?

Some of them are actually approaching me. I wouldn’t say who they are because we are still talking. I have been approached by producers and artistes because I have done a couple of shows here already.



Which shows?

I did LIPS. I did an end-of-the- year award show where I was the only artiste who performed alongside Ayo Bankole and his band. I also did the Mandela Concert. I have done stuff for Samsung too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspirational Quotes

The more money you make the more mouth you feed......[scoje]